Property damage, injuries, accidents and other liabilities can negatively affect a business’s assets and reputation. An unexpected liability could potentially cause devastating financial harm for a company. General liability insurance provides coverage for many of the common risks businesses face.
Numerous commercial insurance policies are available that offer protection for your business. However, general liability is essential coverage that every company should have. Not all general liability insurance policies are the same, so it’s vital to purchase the right coverage for your risk management needs.
What Is Business Liability Insurance?
Sometimes known as commercial general liability (CGL) or business liability insurance, this coverage can help protect your business from various liability claims. A general liability policy may help pay for related expenses associated with claims, such as legal defense charges, settlement costs and medical expenditures.
Generally, general liability insurance provides these types of coverage:
· Bodily injury may cover medical expenses, loss of services and legal fees related to a third-party injury on the property.
· Property damage may cover physical damage to property of others or the loss of use of that property.
· Personal and advertising injury may cover libel, slander, copyright infringement and invasion of privacy.
How Much Liability Coverage Should I Have?
Having the correct type of general liability policy for your business is critical. It’s also equally important that the coverage protects you from the risk exposure your business faces.
Your coverage limits may differ from those of your neighboring business. Your general liability coverage limit depends on your business, industry, location, and operational risk.
Selecting the right coverage for your business is essential because once you’ve reached your coverage limit, any remaining liability costs must be paid by you, potentially creating a liability for you.
Ways To Reduce Your Liability Risk
General liability insurance offers protection from unexpected costs due to liability. In addition, these practical tips may help reduce your business’s potential for risk and lower your liability potential.
· Maintain a safe environment inside and outside for your employees and customers.
· Keep doorways and entrances free of obstacles.
· Keep floors and walkways dry and in good condition.
· Watch your company’s social media behavior—don’t post libelous remarks or utter slanderous words.
· Post warning signs for potentially unsafe areas, such as those under construction.
General liability insurance is the protection businesses need to safeguard their hard-earned assets. Fusion Insurance Agency can review your specific business risks to ensure you get affordable coverage that meets your operational needs.